I enjoy recipes that bridge the seasons. These watermelon waffles combine a summer months preferred with a breakfast which is healthier plenty of for busy again-to-school mornings. The formulation is infused with oats and protein-abundant egg whites, and it’s sweetened entirely with fruit, to support fuel your working day. But the texture is somewhat light-weight and tender, for a brunch-worthy food. You can make a batch on the weekend, and freeze the rest for effortless weekday toaster waffles.
Watermelon Waffles are Fruit Sweetened, nonetheless Fabulously Fluffy
This recipe calls for watermelon juice. You can discover this ingredient for a absurd price at normal food stuff shops, or merely make your own in seconds. Watermelons have a pretty higher h2o written content, so they are a lot more like a juice than a smoothie when blended. Just place chunks of crimson watermelon flesh in your blender and puree – it usually takes just 15 seconds or so. If desired, you can strain it, but it isn’t generally required.
The remaining watermelon can be diced and employed as a topping for the waffles, but if you continue to have some excess, you can freeze it. Watermelon freezes really stable, like fruit ice, and can be applied in beverages or smoothies.
This watermelon waffles recipe with picture was shared with us by the Nationwide Watermelon Promotion Board.
Distinctive Diet program Notes: Watermelon Waffles
By substances, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-cost-free, peanut-absolutely free, soy-absolutely free, and vegetarian. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not by itself! See this put up: Are Eggs Dairy? If you will need egg-free of charge, see our idea under.
- For egg-free of charge and vegan watermelon waffles, you can substitute about 1/2 cup aquafaba. They will choose a lot more time to whip to stiff peaks (about 10 minutes) and will not make the waffles fairly as fluffy, but nevertheless work. For a strictly vegan recipe, skip the honey topping or sub agave nectar.
- For gluten-absolutely free watermelon waffles, you can substitute your most loved all-reason gluten-no cost flour blend for the regular flour. I would use egg whites, not an egg alternative with the gluten-cost-free variation, if attainable.
Author: National Watermelon Marketing Board
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 cup outdated-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-goal flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup watermelon juice (see publish above)
- ½ cup oil
- 4 egg whites
- 3 cups diced watermelon, for garnish
- Dairy-absolutely free yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- Powdered sugar or honey, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a blender or spice grinder, method the oats into flour (takes about 30 seconds).
- In a significant bowl, whisk collectively the oat flour, all-objective flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the watermelon juice and oil, till just put together.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with a hand mixer or whisk until finally stiff peaks kind. Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.
- Grease the waffle iron and make the waffles in accordance to the waffle iron directions.
- Serve the waffles topped with the watermelon, and garnish with dairy-free of charge yogurt and powdered sugar or honey, if wanted.
- Leftover waffles can be frozen. To reheat, pop them in the toaster!
Serving dimension: 1 waffle Energy: 235 Extra fat: 14.6g Saturated unwanted fat: 1.9g Carbs: 22.6g Sugar: 4.9g Sodium: 167mg Fiber: 1.7g Protein: 4.8g
More Methods to Waffle
Pumpkin Spice Waffles
Vegan Hashbrown Waffles
Overnight Gluten-Totally free Vegan Buckwheat Waffles