If there is one gadget everyone needs in their kitchen, it’s a waffle maker.
Forgo the avocado slicer, lemon juicer and egg separator, trust us, this worktop tool is the ultimate breakfast appliance.
Available to buy online from websites such as Amazon for as little as £25, Instagram baker @cakeontherun has shared her quick and easy recipe for making waffles at home and they look absolutely divine.
READ MORE: Super quick and easy peanut butter banana bread recipe
Made using five basic ingredients, they do not contain any butter, eggs or sugar, making them suitable for vegans and anyone on a low fat diet.
WATCH how to make them in the video above or follow the simple instructions below.
For lots more delicious food inspiration, visit our recipe page.
If you love quick and easy recipes, sign up to the Bake On Bake Off newsletter.
It’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, plus some bakes can be cooked in a microwave in under a minute.
Many of the recipes are healthy, vegan friendly and gluten free.
Plus there will be plenty of gossip and reaction from The Great British Bake Off when it’s on our TV screens.
It takes seconds to sign up – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There’s an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
*Quick *Easy *Vegan option *Gluten free option *Breakfast *Meal prep *Healthy *Single serve *Low sugar
Waffle recipe (serves 1)
- 125g (5oz or 1 cup) self raising flour (or all purpose with a pinch of extra baking powder)
- 125ml any milk
- 1 heaped tbsp apple sauce/puree
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Add lemon juice to milk, stir and leave for a five minutes to curdle.
- Put flour, apple, baking powder into a bowl, then pour in the curdled milk and mix to a thick paste.
- Spray a waffle maker with low fat cooking spray and once hot pour the waffle mixture in.
- Close the lid and cook for five minutes.
- Serve warm with your choice of toppings.
- Make waffles vegan – choose dairy free milk such as soya, almond or coconut.
- Make waffles gluten free – use gluten free flour available to buy in mots UK supermarkets or online.
- Use any brand waffle maker. It doesn’t need to be super expensive.
- Use any kind of apple sauce, whether it’s from a jar or homemade.
- Make waffles in advance and re-heat them in a dry frying pan.
Delicious waffle toppings to choose from
- Warm berries and whipped cream
- Maple syrup and bacon
- Strawberries and vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate spread and sliced banana
- Lemon and sugar
- Golden syrup, apple and sultanas
- Jam and peanut butter
- Pecans, maple syrup and vanilla ice cream
Download the SurreyLive app for a better reader experience and to get news from the areas you care most about. Download it via the App Store for iOS or Google Play for Android.