Prep time: – | Prepare dinner time: 1 hour and 30 minutes | Serves: 4
Gumbo is the nationwide dish of Louisiana and a staple of fine New Orleans cuisine. The spicy stew originated in West Africa and was very first served on Louisiana tables in the early 1800s. The dish is commonly believed of as becoming built with seafood, still, just like the city’s jazz, there is no formal or set way it can be served and is greatest improvised.
When several renditions attribute a roux built with flour, this version is thickened exclusively with okra and adds Tasso (treated pork shoulder) to give it a smoky taste. Sticking with the improv concept, you can also omit the Tasso if you cannot find any regionally, and substitute bacon, smoked ham or any other meat that you think may possibly include some further pizazz (if you can source andouille sausage, it is effective perfectly, and even chorizo can be a true winner).
Scorching and zesty shrimp gumbo — Image courtesy of Dave Stamboulis
- 1.5-2.5 lbs . of shrimp, shells on, jumbo or big shrimp get the job done very best
- A couple of tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound okra, chopped into rounds
- 1/2 pound Tasso, bacon or smoked ham, chopped
- 2 15-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to flavor
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (optional, for those who like it incredibly hot!)
- 4.5 cups of h2o
Clean okra — Photo courtesy of Dave Stamboulis
1. Peel the shrimp, retaining the shells, and include the shrimp and refrigerate. Bring the 4.5 cups of water to a boil, add the shells, boil for a moment or two, and then decrease the heat, cover and cook dinner on the most affordable flame or environment for 30 minutes. If you overboil the shells, you can in all probability need to have to scoop off some of the bubbled-up fat and lower the cooking time as you can expect to lose a ton of broth. Right after 50 percent an hour, let the stock amazing, pressure it, toss the shells and established the stock apart. You can also refrigerate it if you system to cook the rest the pursuing day.
Tasso or remedied ham presents a smoked taste profile — Image courtesy of Dave Stamboulis
2. Get a huge frying pan, deep heavy pot or Dutch oven and heat up a number of tablespoons of oil. Most folks use vegetable oil, but for some Mediterranean flair, olive oil will certainly operate. Insert the onions, enable them cook 3-4 minutes at large warmth right until they get started to turn translucent. Stir in the garlic, and then slowly and gradually include the okra and bacon/Tasso/ham and time with salt and pepper, stirring regularly as it commences to brown. After 5 minutes, add the cans of tomatoes and bay leaves, decrease the warmth and let the mixture prepare dinner uncovered on a low flame for 30 minutes.
Let the okra prepare dinner to build a all-natural thickener — Image courtesy of Dave Stamboulis
3. The okra combination should to be good and sticky by now, and you can pour in the shrimp inventory, alongside with the cayenne pepper and the Sriracha sauce, convey it to a boil and then simmer for a different 30 minutes.
Slow cooking brings out the flavors — Picture courtesy of Dave Stamboulis
4. Eventually, increase the shrimp in at the finish, cooking them in the soup/stew for 10 minutes until eventually they change colour. Take away the bay leaves.
Whilst gumbo is most effective served fresh above rice or a further grain of your decision, it can also be reheated and will last refrigerated 3-4 times just great.